Telephone: 07803 495246
"Your authority, perseverance and your good humour played a key part in achieving the final settlement”
Iain has been head of two highly successful Real Estate Disputes practices. First at Nabarro LLP between 1987 and 2012, and then at Ashurst LLP between 2012 and 2018. In those 30 years, Iain led teams on a many large cases, some taken to trial and reported, others resolved by mediation. Iain also worked closely with his transactional colleagues in providing strategic and dispute avoidance advice. Throughout this period, he was able to practice mediation from both perspectives; acting for clients in mediation, and acting as mediator.
Iain has extensive mediation experience in a wide range of disputes, including;
- Interpretation of service charge obligations.
- Profit share and overage provisions under development agreements.
- Restrictive covenants and easements.
- Neighbour disputes including rights of way and boundaries.
- Trespass and adverse possession.
- Breach of alienation covenant.
- Break notices.
- Breach of confidence.
- Vendor and purchaser disputes, including misrepresentation.
- Breach of quiet enjoyment and derogation from grant.
- Failure by Landlord to provide services.
- Rights of reverter over disused land.
- Solicitors professional negligence.
- Fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Termination of leasing agreements in multi-tenanted Centre.
- Constructive and implied trusts.
- Rights of light.
- Break up of property assets of family business.
- Opposed and unopposed business tenancy renewals.
- Seven years as Chairman of a board of Trustees of a defined benefit pension scheme, negotiating two triennial funding agreements with the employer and the Pensions Regulator.
- Appointed by National Basketball Association and International Federation of Basketball Associations to determine disputes between member clubs arising out of the transfer of players.
- Founder member and former Chairman of Property Litigation Association.
- Honorary member of Arbrix.
- Co-author of Distress for Rent (Jordans).
- Speaker at industry events on current topics and writing articles and client publications.
- Member of joint Law Society/Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Working Party on PACT, which established a voluntary scheme for renewal of business tenancies.
Ranked in Legal 500 in 2021 as an excellent mediator who offers a balanced and sensible approach, with a demeanour that puts parties at ease, and acts as a safe and stabilising influence in the mediation room. Iain approaches each mediation on the basis that no two mediations are the same. Preparation for the mediation, and understanding the aims and personalities of the key players, is vital for a successful outcome. Iain is a natural communicator, bringing to the parties a combination of legal and commercial skills. His calm and relaxed manner belies tenacity. He uses his experience to understand the true position of both parties, and will stress test their arguments whilst at the same time keeping an eye on where the solution lies. He believes in encouraging clients to get involved in the mediation and to have an impact on the outcome. He has years of hands-on experience in gaining the cooperation of those working with him, and in helping to solve problems. He applies a practical and problem-solving approach to help the parties achieve a workable solution.
Iain was accredited as a Mediator by ADR Group in 1999.
Iain enjoys his cycling, bridge, sailing and the theatre, as well as good food and company, especially that of his three children, all of whom are now developing their own careers.